Building & Renovating Tips
What is the purpose of underlay? 0
The purpose of underlay for timber flooring is mainly related to the below reasons:
- Underlay has acoustic deafening properties
- The softness of the underlay creates a soft backing for a softer step, if the timber was directly on concrete it would be very hard under the foot
- It will help with creating a moisture barrier between concrete and timber, this is required because the concrete contains moisture in it that can affect timber
- The underlay helps absorb any grit and minor slab deviations
- Used as a thermal break
Different types of Installs
- In a floating floorboard, if you have an acoustic underlay (which is a roll), it is not required to glue the flooring to the underlay
- In a glued floor, you seal the concrete, then use glue to level the slab (the glue is used for the same purposes as the underlay), but the timber floorboard is stuck onto it
Also, note separate from the install type is the type of flooring interlocking system. There is:
- Secret nailing (typically only used for hardwood flooring)
- Exposed nailing (typically only used for hardwood flooring)
- Clip lock (no glue required)
- Tongue and groove (glue is required)
- Jimmy T
How Artificial Plant Walls Stack Up 0
The addition of greenery in the both indoor and outdoor spaces has become more and more popular throughout Australia. In particular, the use of plant walls or vertical gardens is a great way to add life and intrigue to a stark environment with very minimal cost and effort.
Mixed with the right building materials like stone, timber and neutral tile, it is easy to create designer spaces that have real impact with a plant wall. The versatility of differing styles and types of artificial plant that are now available allows you to select a range of natural pop colours and also control the scale and shape of your feature plant wall to fit your internal or external space.
Image (Bathroom with Plant Wall): Caption - Larger bathrooms in need of a pop of colour are a great application for plant walls. The greenery adds a designer touch and the artificial plants require no maintenance.
The decor in foyers, waiting rooms and offices can make or break a first impression and companies are we are always looking for the most cost effective way to add stylish design that will both wow and add sophistication. Large commercial spaces that would normally consist of cold stone, stainless steel and glass are softened immediately with the introduction of artificial plant walls.
Corporate offices like Live Nation, Westin Hotels & Resorts, Vaio, Qantas and many more have recognised, not only the aesthetic impact of adding greenery to corporate spaces but also of the calming effect that a little greenery has on its occupants. Even the smallest nod to creating a seamless transition between the indoors and outdoors can make a space more comfortable and approachable.
Image (Large Corporate Building with Plant wall installation): Caption - A large, stark building foyer is softened greatly by the addition of a large-scale plant wall. The value is in the fact that no ongoing maintenance is required.
The largest benefit of artificial plant walls in commercial and domestic application is value for money. Due to a lack of maintenance required long term as well the sheer cost reduction in buying artificial plants in comparison to their real counterparts, artificial plant walls are a great and cost effective choice for a leap in design for interior and exterior spaces.
Choice of colours and plant type can be based entirely on personal preference and application for versatility, and once installed, the only reason for change is the transition of contemporary interior design. The versatility of artificial plants is that there is no need to plan the strategic placement of your plant wall around availability of plumbing for irrigation or natural light. Hypo-allergenic, you will also never have to worry about planning your vertical garden or plant wall around allergies, plant toxins or sensitivity.
Image (Man in trade uniform installing artificial plant wall): Caption - Installation is quick and easy and there is no ongoing maintenance required.
Building a feature wall for your commercial or domestic application can be simple, cost effective and create real design impact for your next project and last last as long as the building materials throughout your home or office.