Whether you're renovating your kitchen or simply updating your kitchen sink, it's important to choose a material that is not only functional but also complements the overall design of your space. With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to decide which material is the right fit for you. That's why we've put together this article to help you make an informed decision.
We’re covering the properties and characteristics of the three best materials for double kitchen sinks in Australia, as well as some alternative and strong contenders if the best 3 don’t tickle your fancy. So, whether you're a professional chef or a home cook, keep reading to find the perfect material for your double kitchen sink.
The Top 3 Kitchen Sink Materials
1. Stainless Steel Sinks
Stainless steel kitchen sinks are incredibly popular due to their durability, easy maintenance, and affordability. Made by combining steel with chromium and nickel, (which gives it a corrosion-resistant surface and a polished finish), you really can’t beat stainless steel double kitchen sinks. Here are some of the benefits of stainless steel sinks:
- Durability: Stainless steel is a strong and resilient material that can withstand heavy use without cracking or chipping.
- Hygienic: Stainless steel is non-porous, which means it is resistant to bacteria growth and easy to clean.
- Aesthetics: Stainless steel sinks have a modern and sleek appearance that complements a variety of kitchen styles.
- Sound Dampening: Some stainless steel sinks have sound-deadening pads or coatings that reduce the noise of running water and clanging dishes.
While there are many advantages to using stainless steel for double bowl kitchen sinks, there are also a few potential disadvantages:
- Scratches: Some stainless steel sinks can scratch easily, which can affect their appearance over time.
- Water Spots: If not dried properly, water spots and stains can appear on the surface of some types of stainless steel sinks.
- Dents: While stainless steel is durable, it can dent if heavy objects are dropped into the sink.
2. Cast Iron Sinks
Cast iron is another popular material for double bowl kitchen sinks due to its durability and classic appearance. It is made by melting iron and adding other elements, such as carbon and silicon, to create a strong and sturdy material. Here are some of the benefits characteristics of cast iron:
- Durability: Cast iron is a tough and long-lasting material that can withstand heavy use without cracking or chipping.
- Heat Retention: Cast iron is a good heat conductor, which means it can retain heat for longer periods of time, making it great for washing dishes or soaking pots and pans.
- Aesthetics: Cast iron sinks have a timeless and elegant appearance that can complement traditional and farmhouse-style kitchens.
- Colour Options: Cast iron sinks are available in a range of colours and finishes, such as white, black, and porcelain enamel.
While cast iron has many advantages as a material for double bowl kitchen sinks, there are also some potential disadvantages:
- Weight: Cast iron sinks are heavier than other materials, which may require additional support during installation.
- Maintenance: Cast iron sinks require regular maintenance, such as cleaning and sealing, to prevent rust and staining.
- Cost: Cast iron sinks tend to be more expensive than other materials, such as stainless steel.
3. Fireclay Sinks
Fireclay is a type of ceramic material that is fired at extremely high temperatures to create a dense and durable material that is resistant to chipping and scratching. It is a popular choice for double bowl kitchen sinks due to its durability and attractive finish. Here are some of the advantages and characteristics of fireclay:
- Durability: Fireclay sinks are highly resistant to chipping and scratching, and are known for their long-lasting durability.
- Aesthetics: Fireclay sinks have a classic and elegant appearance that can complement a variety of kitchen styles.
- Colour Options: Fireclay sinks are available in a range of colours and finishes, such as white, black, and matte.
- Hygienic: Fireclay sinks are non-porous and easy to clean, making them a hygienic choice for the kitchen.
There are also a few potential disadvantages:
- Cost: Fireclay sinks tend to be more expensive than other materials, such as stainless steel.
- Weight: Fireclay sinks are heavy, which may require additional support during installation.
- Maintenance: Fireclay sinks require regular maintenance, such as cleaning and sealing, to prevent staining and maintain their appearance.
So, Which is the Best Kitchen Sink Material?
So, which is the best kitchen sink material for you? While every material has its own pros and cons, if you're looking for a sink that offers durability, versatility, and easy maintenance, then stainless steel is a great choice. Stainless steel sinks are resistant to stains, scratches, and heat, making them perfect for busy kitchens.
They also come in a variety of styles and finishes to match any design aesthetic. And, because they're so popular, you can find stainless steel sinks at a range of price points to fit any budget. So, whether you're a professional chef or a casual home cook, a stainless steel double bowl sink is a solid investment that will serve you well for years to come.
Types of Kitchen Sinks
When it comes to choosing a kitchen sink, there are a bunch of different types to pick from. Here are some of the most popular ones:
This type of sink is installed beneath the countertop, giving your kitchen a seamless look. It's easy to clean and lets you use more of your countertop space.
Also called a drop-in sink, a topmount sink is installed by dropping it into a hole in your countertop. They come in all kinds of sizes and styles and are easy to install.
A drainboard sink has a built-in drainboard that's connected to the sink. If you like to air dry your dishes, this could be a great option for you.
Single Bowl Sink
A single bowl kitchen sink only has one basin, which makes it great for smaller kitchens or if you don't have a lot of dishes to wash. It also gives you more space to wash larger pots and pans.
Each type of kitchen sink has its own unique features and benefits, so take a moment to think about your needs and preferences before choosing the perfect sink for your kitchen.
Alternative Double Kitchen Sink Materials
While stainless steel, cast iron, and fireclay are some of the most popular materials for double bowl kitchen sinks, there are also a number of alternative materials that you might want to consider. Here are a few options to keep in mind:
- Composite Kitchen Sinks: Composite sinks are made from a mixture of materials, usually including acrylic, resin, and granite. This creates a sink that is durable, scratch-resistant, and non-porous, making it a popular choice for busy kitchens.
- Granite Composite Sinks: Granite composite sinks are made from a blend of granite stone dust and acrylic resin. Granite sinks offer the durability and natural look of stone, but are also lightweight and easy to install. They come in a variety of colours and styles to match any kitchen decor.
- Natural Stone Ceramic Sinks: Natural stone ceramic sinks are made from a mixture of clay and natural stone materials. Stone kitchen sinks have a unique, handcrafted look and are available in a range of colours and finishes. They're also durable and resistant to scratches and stains.
Looking for the Right Kitchen Sink for Your Home?
Choosing the right material for your double bowl kitchen sink can have a big impact on the overall look and functionality of your kitchen. Whether you choose stainless steel sink, cast iron, or fireclay sink, each material has its own unique properties and advantages.
Of course, a good sink is just one part of a great kitchen design. When you're planning your new kitchen or kitchen renovation, it's important to consider your bench space, storage options, and other key elements that will make your kitchen both beautiful and functional.
Ultimately, your kitchen should be a focal point of your home, where you can enjoy cooking and spending time with family and friends. With the right materials, design, and functionality, your kitchen can be everything you want it to be and more.
At Buildmat, we specialise in premium stainless steel double kitchen sinks for the modern kitchen. Our handmade stainless steel sinks are sturdy and durable, ensuring they can handle whatever you throw at them. Don't settle for a subpar kitchen sink that will need replacing in a few years. Choose a high-quality stainless steel sink from Buildmat and invest in a fixture that will last (and enjoy a 25 year warranty in Australia).
Shop our range of stainless steel kitchen sinks online today (or visit our Melbourne showroom) and take the first step towards a more stylish and functional kitchen.