When upgrading your bathroom, what do you focus on first? Is the perfect bathroom basin the most important thing? Or is the right mixer taps your top priority? Or maybe you’re searching for the best shower head to really take your showering experience to the next level. A lot happens in the bathroom (some things we’d rather not mention), but we reckon the best part of the bathroom is the shower. Who doesn’t love a long, steamy hot shower? Pure bliss. But, without the right shower head, your showering experience can quickly turn sour (trickling water pressure? No, thanks - give us high pressure any day).
If you’re on the hunt for a new shower head for your bathroom home improvement and don’t know where to start, stop right here and continue reading our shower head buying guide for everything you need to know to find the perfect fit for your bathroom.
Choosing the Right Shower Head for Your Needs
Different Types of Shower Heads
There are several different types of shower heads to choose from, and the right shower head will depend on a few things like your style, budget and water pressure preferences. Here are some of the most common shower heads on the market.
Fixed Shower Heads
Fixed shower heads are the types that are securely attached to the wall, providing a steady stream of water. While you can adjust the flow rate of the water, you can’t change the height of a fixed shower head. This shouldn't be a concern if you're the only one using the shower, but it might become a bit tricky in a shared family bathroom where people of differing heights are using it!
Rain Shower Heads
Rainfall shower heads are some of the most on-trend and luxurious types of shower heads. They literally make you feel like you’re standing under gentle rainfall. These are the modern types of shower heads you’ll usually find in a hotel. They have several nozzles and cover a larger area, giving you a truly blissful shower experience. You can either mount them on the ceiling or the wall, depending on your style preferences and available space.
Dual Shower Heads
Dual shower heads are like having two shower heads in one. You can use them separately or both together, depending on your style. These shower heads are great for getting a focused spray or enjoying a full-body rinse.
Wall Mounted Shower Heads
Wall-mounted shower heads/ceiling mounted shower heads aren’t exactly a type of shower head, but more refer to how they're installed. Ceiling-mounted ones are fixed on the ceiling, so it feels like water is raining down on you. Wall-mounted shower heads are attached to the wall at a specific height. Both options come in different styles and spray patterns to suit your needs.
Before you go ahead and buy a showerhead, there are a few things to consider if you want to find the perfect shower head for your needs, such as:
- Water Pressure: First, you need to know the water pressure in your home. Different shower heads work better with different water pressure levels. This will make sure that you get a showerhead that gives you a nice, strong stream of water.
Pro tip: To evaluate water pressure and flow rate in your home, use a pressure gauge to measure the water pressure and time how long it takes to fill a bucket under the showerhead to calculate the flow rate.
- Flow Rate: The flow rate is how much water comes out of the showerhead per minute. It's important to find a balance between enjoying your shower and saving water. Some showerheads let you adjust the flow rate, so you can use just the right amount of water.
- Spray Patterns: Do you like a gentle, rain-like spray or a powerful, massaging one? Shower Heads come with different spray patterns. Choosing one that suits your showering preferences will really just make your showers more enjoyable.
- Water-Saving Features: If you want to save water (who doesn't?), look for a water-saving shower head. These showerheads are designed to use less water without sacrificing your shower experience. Keep an eye out for the WaterSense label, which means they're super efficient with water.
Shower heads come in a range of prices, which will be determined by the brand, quality of the material and any additional features it has. You can find shower heads from as little as $100, to as much as $500 or more. Remember: just because a higher price tag doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best option for you – it’s most important to consider the material and quality of construction, as well as the reputation of the brand you’re buying from.
Shower Head Features and Functions
Every shower head comes with different features and functions - some more important than others. Do you need LED lights on your shower head? Not really - but if it’s something you want, then go for it! However, if you want to know the essential features you should look for in a shower head, check it out below:
- One important feature to consider is the spray settings and if it has adjustable spray patterns. This allows you to truly customise your shower experience, whether you prefer a gentle rainfall or a powerful massage-like spray. Look for shower heads that offer multiple spray options.
- Another important feature to look for is an adjustable shower head. This allows you to change the angle or height of the shower head, making it more accessible to anyone who might use it.
- For versatility, look for a hand shower/handheld shower head. These are detachable shower heads that allow you to direct the water exactly where you need it, whether you’re washing yourself, your pets or cleaning the shower.
- Water saving shower heads with water efficiency features are designed to reduce water consumption without compromising your shower experience, helping you save both water and money in water bills.
What’s the Most Durable Shower Head Material?
When it comes to durability, stainless steel takes the crown as the most reliable material for shower heads. These shower heads are tough and can withstand the test of time. They won't easily corrode, even with all the moisture and daily use in the shower.
So, you can trust that a stainless steel shower head will keep performing well for years to come. Plus, they have a sleek and modern look that can elevate the style of your bathroom
If you want a shower head that's built to last and adds a touch of elegance, stainless steel is the way to go!
How can I install a new showerhead and shower arm myself?
Installing a new shower head can be a DIY project, depending on your level of experience. However, we typically recommend consulting a qualified plumber for the job.
How can I improve water flow in my shower?
If you're experiencing low water pressure or low water flow in your shower, there are a few things you can try. Clean the showerhead and remove any mineral buildup that may be obstructing the flow. If that doesn't help, you can consider installing a low flow showerhead specifically designed to optimise water flow while conserving water.
What warranties are typically offered for showerheads?
Warranty coverage for showerheads can vary depending on the manufacturer. Typically, shower heads come with warranties ranging from one to two years, offering protection against defects in materials or workmanship. At Buildmat, we offer a 10 year warranty.
How can I test my home’s water pressure?
To evaluate water pressure and flow rate in your home, you can use a pressure gauge to check the water pressure and time how long it takes to fill a bucket under the showerhead. By doing this, you can calculate the flow rate and choose a showerhead that matches your needs.
What’s a good flow rate?
A good flow rate for a showerhead is typically around 2.5gpm (gallons per minute). This flow rate provides a balance between a satisfying shower experience and water conservation. However, preferences can vary, and some people may prefer higher or lower flow rates.
Shop Buildmat’s Premium Shower Head Range Today
If you’re ready to enhance your showering experience and take the look and functionality of your bathroom to the next level, shop the premium shower head range available at Buildmat today. Our high-quality shower heads combine functionality, style, and durability to meet your needs and elevate your daily routine. Shop Now!