Wanting to create the ultimate bathroom transformation without having to undertake a huge bathroom renovation? Well, do we have good news for you. Enhancing the overall look and feel of your bathroom space without dropping a huge amount of money is possible – if you know how.
We’ll let you in on a little secret – creating the ultimate bathroom transformation with a minimal investment lies in upgrading three important features: your shower mixer, your basin mixer and the bathroom basin itself. Yep - it’s that easy. Not only will this enhance the look of your bathroom but also the functionality. It’s a truly winning combo.
But if bathroom design isn’t your forte, don’t sweat it. We’ve got you covered. Here’s how to match your shower mixer with stylish tapware and a premium new bathroom basin for the ultimate modern bathroom makeover.
Choosing the Right Shower Mixer
Let’s start with choosing the right shower mixer. There are countless styles of shower mixers available, and choosing the right one for your needs comes down to your budget, style and showering preferences. Here are some of the most common types of shower mixers you’ll find on the Australian market.
Pssst: If you want our complete guide to choosing the right shower mixer, head here.
- Wall Mixer: A wall mixer/wall-mounted mixer is a shower mixer that’s attached to the bathroom wall and is responsible for controlling the water temperature and flow rate with separate knobs or handles. It's versatile and can work with different types of shower heads.
- Basin Mixer: Don't let the name fool you! Basin mixers can also moonlight as shower mixers. They are single-handle mixers that take charge of both temperature and water flow. They're compact and perfect for smaller shower spaces.
- Thermostatic Mixer: The thermostatic mixer is the master of temperature control. It keeps your shower water at a constant temperature, even if someone flushes a toilet or uses water elsewhere while you’re in the shower.
- Exposed Shower Mixer: Want a shower mixer that shows off its plumbing? The exposed shower mixer is your go-to choice. It's installed right on the wall surface, with separate hot and cold water handles. It's easy to install and gives your bathroom a stylish edge.
- Concealed Shower Mixer: The concealed shower mixer is the epitome of sleekness. It's installed behind the wall, with only a control plate visible. It gives off a very modern look.
- Sequential Mixer: Meet the master of simplicity. The sequential mixer takes a one-step-at-a-time approach. By turning the handle in one direction, you adjust the water temperature, while the opposite direction controls the flow rate.
- Digital Shower Mixer: Digital shower mixers are designed with cutting-edge tech. With electronic controls, digital displays, and even remote control options, you have total command over water temperature and flow rate.
Complementing Your Shower Mixer with Stylish Basin Mixer Taps
Now that you have a better idea of the types of shower mixers to choose from, it's time to pair it with a stylish basin mixer tap. Cohesive bathroom tapware is essential for an overall aesthetic bathroom design. Even if all you did was change your bathroom taps you’d significantly elevate the look of your bathroom - so don’t underestimate the importance of these small but crucial bathroom design and functionality aspects!
When it comes to high-quality tapware finishes, there are a few standout options. One trendsetter is the ever-stylish matte black finish. Black taps have a sleek and contemporary appearance, adding a touch of sophistication to any bathroom design.
If you're aiming for a more subtle yet elegant and minimalist look, brushed nickel is the way to go. This finish offers a soft, brushed texture that exudes understated luxury.
For those seeking a bold and edgy vibe, gunmetal finishes are making waves in the world of tapware. The dark, metallic hue creates a striking contrast and makes a bold statement in any bathroom space.
Finally, for a classic, no-fuss and modern look, stainless steel is always an excellent choice. It pairs perfectly with a range of colours and styles, so no matter your vibe (and even if your style changes over time), stainless steel will always fit your decor.
When it comes to basin mixers, there are plenty of cool styles to consider that can add a touch of personality to your bathroom. One trendy choice is the gooseneck basin mixer. Picture a faucet with a curvy, swan-like neck that brings elegance and sophistication to your sink area. It's not just about looks though – the design also allows for easy hand-washing.
If you're into a modern and edgy vibe, square basin mixers should definitely be on your radar. With their sharp, angular lines, they bring a contemporary touch to your bathroom. These sleek mixers create a focal point that's clean and visually striking.
Now, if you want your basin mixer to make a bold statement, go for a tall one. These mixers stand taller than the average faucet, demanding attention and adding a sense of elegance to your bathroom space. Plus, they often offer better accessibility and control for your water flow.
Basin Mixer Tap Vs Wall Mounted Tap
When deciding between basin tapware and a wall-mounted tap, it boils down to a few key factors. Sink mixers offer versatility and functionality with their combined hot and cold water controls, providing easy temperature and flow adjustment. They come in various styles and finishes to match your basin and bathroom aesthetic.
On the other hand, wall-mounted taps offer a sleek and minimalist look, leaving your basin clutter-free and maximising counter space. However, you need to make sure your basin and plumbing setup are compatible with this installation method. Ultimately, you should choose the option that aligns with your preferences and bathroom design goals.
Finish Off the Look with a Gorgeous Bathroom Basin
Now we’re ready to finish off the look with a beautiful bathroom basin. Your basin has a huge impact on the overall look and feel of your bathroom space, so it’s important you take the time to consider your needs and design preferences.
There are three main types of bathroom basins: counter basins, wall-mounted and free-standing. Here’s what you need to know:
- Counter basins are a popular choice for their sleek and contemporary appearance. These basins sit on top of your counter or vanity unit, creating a seamless and stylish look. They come in various shapes, sizes, and materials, allowing you to find the perfect match for your bathroom design.
- Wall-mounted sinks offer a practical and space-saving solution, particularly in smaller bathrooms or powder rooms. These sinks are mounted directly onto the wall, leaving the floor space beneath them free. This design choice not only adds a minimalist touch but also makes cleaning and maintenance much easier.
- For a more traditional and space-saving viber, freestanding basins are a great option. These standalone sinks create a focal point in the bathroom, adding a sense of sophistication. Freestanding basins come in a range of styles, from classic and traditional to modern and sculptural, allowing you to make a bold statement in your space.
Below are some of the most popular basin materials on the market. The material you should choose will depend mostly on things like your style preference and budget, as well as the overall goals of your bathroom reno.
Terrazzo Basins: Terrazzo basins are a unique and eye-catching choice for your bathroom. They are made by combining chips of materials like marble or glass with cement or resin. This creates a speckled appearance that adds texture and visual interest to your basin. Terrazzo basins are durable and resistant to stains, making them a practical and stylish option.
Ceramic Basins: Ceramic basins are classic and versatile. They are made from fired clay, resulting in a smooth and durable surface. With a wide range of shapes, sizes, and styles available, ceramic basins can match any bathroom. They are easy to clean, scratch-resistant, and stain-resistant.
Marble Look: Marble look basins offer the luxurious appearance of marble without the high cost and maintenance. These basins are made from materials like ceramic or composites that imitate the natural patterns of marble. They add elegance to your bathroom and are durable and easy to clean.
Concrete Basin: Concrete basins have an industrial and contemporary aesthetic. Made from a blend of cement, sand, and aggregates, they are robust and stylish. Concrete basins are durable, heat-resistant, and customizable with various finishes and colours.
Stone Look: Stone look basins mimic the beauty of natural stones like granite or limestone. They are made from composite materials or ceramics that replicate the texture and appearance of stone. Stone look basins add sophistication and warmth to your bathroom, and they are easy to clean and maintain.
When choosing the colour of your bathroom basin, it’s important to consider how it complements your shower mixer and tapware.
Popular colours include matte black, luxurious brushed brass gold, delicate champagne pink, timeless gloss white, contemporary graphite, elegant marble-inspired shades, modern meteor grey, and sea salt white.
Each colour choice adds its own unique touch, so have a think about your overall style and how your basin colour will blend with your other bathroom accessories.
Bringing it All Together with Your Bathroom Accessories
Speaking of bathroom accessories, now we really start to tie your bathroom space together. The secret to a truly cohesive and beautiful looking bathroom is in the small details. Once you’ve chosen your shower mixer, basin taps and sink, now you can look at the finer details like towel rails, robe hooks, soap dishes, bath tapware, bath spout, toilet roll holders and so on.
So for example, if you have a brushed brass gold basin mixer, you should also have a brushed brass gold shower mixer, robe hook and towel rail to really bring the look together.
Matching these types of bathroom accessories to the overall colour scheme and style of your bathroom will make a huge difference - guests will be asking which designer you had redo your bathroom, and you’ll be able to confidently say “I did it myself! (with some help from Buildmat, of course).
Transform Your Bathroom with Buildmat
Ready to totally transform your bathroom? Buildmat is your go-to retailer in Australia for all your bathroom and quality tapware needs.
We have an extensive tapware range - from wall mixers to basin mixers, bathtub bath mixers and more to really elevate your bathroom space. With an extensive warranty on all products and free shipping Australia-wide (orders over $100), there’s nowhere better to shop for quality bathroom products.
Shop the range online, or come visit our Melbourne showroom to see the Buildmat difference for yourself.
How do I choose the right shower mixer to match my tapware and basin?
When choosing a shower mixer, consider the style and finish of your tapware and basin. Aim for a cohesive look by choosing complementary colours and designs. For example, if you have matte black tapware, opt for a shower mixer in a matching matte black finish to create a balanced look.
Can I mix different materials for my basin and tapware?
Yes! Mixing different materials can add visual interest and create a unique design. However, it's essential to ensure that the materials work well together. For instance, if you have a marble basin, you can pair it with brushed nickel tapware for a stylish contrast. Just make sure the combination enhances the overall style and doesn't clash with the rest of your bathroom decor.